Thanks Alan and John.

Actually I tested SLES7 with Samba 2.2.0 and Red Hat Linux for S/390 with
Samba 2.2.1a-5 yesterday, but no problem occurred. The following
description in the Samba web site might not be necessarily true....

http://us1.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.5.html

Quota problems on a Linux 2.4 kernel.
-------------------------------------

Currently the quota interfaces have diverged between the Linus
2.4.x kernels and the Alan Cox 2.4.x kernels (the Alan Cox variants
are shipped with RedHat). Running quota-enabled Samba compiled on
an Alan Cox kernel works correctly on an Alan Cox kernel (the one
shipped by default with RedHat 7.x) but fails on a Linus kernel.

This is a mess, and hopefully Alan and Linus will sort it out soon.
In the meantime we need to ship.....

 Michiyasu

                      John Summerfield
                      <summer@computerdatas        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      afe.com.au>                  cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on 390        Subject:  Re: Samba Quota function
works well with SuSE ?
                      Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      2002/10/12 13:08
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:28, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 14:02, Michiyasu Takada wrote:.
>
> > As far as I know, Samba 2.2.x has a problem regarding quota with Linus
> > kernel, and only Red Hat Linux with Alan Cox patch can handle this
> > function.
> > This customer is thinking of using SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 or 8
> > (which will be available in near future), so they want to know SuSE can
> > handle the Samba quota. Please let me know if this works well with
SuSE.

> While I'd love your customer to go with Red Hat ;) I'm actually not
> aware of such limitations.

Even if it were, there's no technical reason you couldn't use the Red Hat
source including patches to build a kernel for SuSE.

SuSE support might not like it a lot, but that's another matter.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/