From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Rick Troth
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 2:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: rh7.2 upgrading util-linux package

I was looking for something else
and stumbled onto this post from the end of July
which I had missed at that time.   (Too much good info on this list!)

To fix a collision between util-linux and s390-tools,
Karsten Hopp said:
> The correct way would be to edit the util-linux.spec file
> and rebuild the package with the patched spec file.
> Search for /sbin/fdisk in the %files section and either
> comment it out or better surround with ifnarch like this:

>  %ifnarch s390 s390x
>  /sbin/fdisk
>  %endif

Neat trick.   Good to know.   But this worries me.

IBM needs to figure out if they  *really*  need a custom  'fdisk'
in the S390 Tools kit since they clearly will need  "normal FDISK"
to support SCSI.   I would prefer that the FDISK included in
Util-Linux be properly patched than to see two versions of it.

If there must be two,
then it might be wise to rename the newcomer  'fdisk390'.

Thoughts?

-- RMT