James,

Not sure.  I guess the only thing left to try is a POR.  If that doesn't do
it, then there's something else wrong.

From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
James Melin
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 9:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Moving ethernet.

What do you suggest happen when you have 1) Configured the CHP online to
the new LPAR, the HMC says it's available to that LPAR, but (Installing
SuSE 7, 2.4.7 Kernal) the initial probe doesn't find any devices for that
chp? The other Linux partition is using the same chp/device range. I had
intended to use port 1 on the OSA/ENTR card, as port 0 was in use for Linux
LPAR 1. That LPAR is using devices 830/831 for send recieve. The only
device LPAR 2 sees is 83F which is the device used by OSA EXPRESS when
configuring the card. The CHP is 34, for what it's worth.

I had originally tried the RH 2.4.7 distro, but I couldn't figure out what
to tell it for the X'0xxxx' stuff at the beginning. When I tried the Redhat
stuff, I found that it can only see dev 83F on CHP34.

Is there some sort of 'not playing nice' problem that I should be aware of,
that a SuSE 7.0 distro would be doing that could prevent another LPAR from
talking to the same device # range on the same box/chp?

I'd cut/paste the stuff I see but I can only get to it via the HMC.

|         |           Mark Post        |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           et>              |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on|
|         |           390 Port         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           IST.EDU>         |
|         |           12/20/2002 02:41 |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port|

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: Moving ethernet.

Steve,

One more caveat, I guess.  If this is a CHPID that has not been defined to
this LPAR before, you're going to need to either do a POR, or configure it
online to the LPAR from the service console.  This has caused a few people
problems in the past (just this month, I believe.)