> "To the extent the open source model gains increasing market acceptance,
> sales of the company's products may decline, the company may have to reduce
> the prices it charges for its products, and revenues and operating margins
> may consequently decline," it said.

The threat is threefold:

a) Lower volumes

b) Lower prices

c) Higher cost per sale

Now - I'm not in charge of Microsoft - that's Steve "take every one of their ideas and
make
them our ideas" Ballmer's job.  But I'd suggest the next move has to be a radical
review of
Microsoft's loss-making businesses (that's about everything apart from core OSes and
suites)
and some pruning.

The xBox loss just doubled to $348 million, for instance.  Business Solutions (Great
Plains,
bCentral and Navision) more than doubled its losses from $41 million to $93 million.
MSN and
CE/Mobility also make losses.

Server OS contribution isn't that amazing - the company is held up by client software.

To understand how sensitive Mickeysoft might be to any serious turbulence in its
cashflows,
read http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html - it's not been updated for a
while, but
you can follow the arguments in the public filings for yourself.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com