From: Wolfe, Gordon W [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 2:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Root almost filled on 3390-3

Werner,

I'm glad I was able to help you find your storage problem.  I remember when
sonmeone showed me the "du" command about a year and a half ago how useful
it was to me.

As far as LVM is concerned, there are others on this list who are more
qualified to speak about LVM than I am.  I'm sure this question has been
answered in this list before.  You might check the list archives at
http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-vm and do a search (at the bottom
of the page) on LVM.  Be patient.  The search can take a while.

Having said that, I do seem to recall that someone posted the fact that even
the boot disk can be on a logical volume.  Probably any mount point can be
on a logical volume.

Here at Boeing, we use LVM volumes mostly for user data, /home for example,
or for Oracle databases, so that we can use more than one physical volume
for a mount point.  We also keep the Oracle code in logical volumes so we
can have more than one mount point on a minidisk.  For our general purpose
(non-Oracle, non-WebSphere) linux systems, we create the following
minidisks:

        292     mounted as / (boot disk)
        293     V-disk for swap
        294     mounted shared read-only as /usr
        295     mounted as /home

For boot purposes, Linux needs to have (at least) access to /boot, /bin,
/sbin and /etc on the boot disk until it is up far enough to mount other
filesystems. It may also need /var or /tmp.  It definitely does not need
/usr, /opt or /home unless you've done something really radical to change
your system.

One more thing.  I wouldn't get too enamored of LVM just yet.  I was in a
meeting yesterday and one of the Unix gurus we work with on Linux/390 (and
who is usually pretty knowlegeable about these things) mentioned that LVM is
going to be sunsetted.  It is rumored that Sistina will not be enhancing it
beyond the 2.4 kernel, only providing basic maintenance.  This same person
said that Linus won't be putting LVM into 2.6 when it comes out.  LVM will
apparently be replaced by something similar but more capable from IBM, and
that this new filesystem is already in the 2.4.17 kernel.  There was an IBM
rep there at the meeting and he seemed to know about this change as well.
We've put all our expansion of LVM on hold until we find out if this rumor
is true and (if so) what the replacement is and how you work with it.

Perhaps others on the list can expand on this rumor and tell me if I'm just
blowing smoke and spreading FUD.

They say there are three signs of stress in your life.  You eat too much
junk food, you drive too fast and you veg out in front of the TV.  Who are
they kidding?  That sounds like a perfect day to me!
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D. (425)865-5940
VM & Linux Servers and Storage, The Boeing Company