On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Adam Thornton wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:23:33PM -0500, Beinert, William wrote:
> > There was discussion (I think on this list) of a CDROM that allowed
> > someone to boot and run Linux from a CDROM without installing Linux.
> > I didn't pay much attention at the time, but now I think I know
> > someone who could benefit from this.
>
> They're usually called Live-CDs.  I know Gentoo did a nice once recently
> that was basically the infrastructure support for Unreal Tournament
> 2003.  Pretty cool.  SuSE used to hand out LiveCDs at tradeshows and
> stuff, but I dunno if they still do.

There's also Knoppix from .de.

And a couple of firewall setups that run from CD.

I've got my own installer. I boot a floppy containing an Etherboot
bootrom, and that loads a kernel and initrd (standard Debian kernel in
fact) off a tftp server and runs that.

The linuxrc in it establishes a network connection (modprobes my NIC
drivers until one takes) and mounts a filesystem over nfs.

While this system is my installer, it could actually be any Linux setup
at all. a firewall on a ro filesystem, a xterminal, a full desktop
setup.

--

Cheers
John.