The command to "vary offline" is
        echo "set device range=xxxx[-yyyy] off " >> /proc/dasd/devices

The results are a little misleading, in that the unit still shows up when
you cat /proc/dasd/devices, but with a status of "unknown."  Also, if you do
another "add device" for the same device number, you wind up with multiple
entries for the device number, assigned to different /dev/dasd? names.  A
little nerve wracking.

So, for people using z/VM, what I recommend doing is the initial "add
device" command for a given virtual DASD device number.  Then, just do "set
device off" and "set device on" commands for that device number after
detaching the one unit, and attaching a new one at the same virtual address.

attach a DASD volume at virtual address 300
        echo "add device range=300 " >> /proc/dasd/devices
        dasdfmt
        mke2fs
        do whatever
        echo "set device range=300 off " >> /proc/dasd/devices
detach virtual address 300
attach another DASD volume at virtual address 300
        echo "set device range=300 on " >> /proc/dasd/devices
        dasdfmt
        mke2fs
        do whatever
detach virtual address 300