Hmm. I'd say it's more a case of IBM focusing development dollars where
there aren't likely to be investments from other sources than anything
really negative about Itanium. HP and Intel care a lot more about
Itanium than IBM does (IBM has Itanium machines, but they are a "me too"
development more than a clear strategic direction vs the HP/Intel "bet
the farm" approach to Itanium), and IBM cares a lot more about PowerPC
than anyone else does (other than Apple). If the three companies can
focus development on areas where there is a clear benefit for them, and
inherit the work the others are doing, it's a win for everyone, and the
net state of the art advances -- a Good Thing in my book.

-- db

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates