On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, MCCARTIER wrote:

> Yes, the next official release for S/390 will be Red Hat Advanced Server
> 3.0 and you are obliged to take the support contract of RH.
>
> I Think it's time to move to DEBIAN S/390 ?
>
> What do you think ?

I think the onus is on the vendors to show value. Back when I worked for
Amdahl, some mainframe users liked to have two (or more) vendors onsite,
believing it helped keep them honest.

It seems to me that both Red Hat and SuSE are trying to coerce users
into using their solutions only. You don't have to comply with their
desires.

It may be that if their offerings don't suit you, and enough say so that
they will change. I suppose you could make a counter offer: "We will pay
xxx for media and a stream of ixes, and we will make other arrangements
ofr hands on deck." A slice of the cake is better than no cacke, after
all, and _anyone_ can supply and support Debian.

I do suggest, though, that if you do make signnificant use of Debian,
you find ways of helping the project (and KDE, Gnome etc).

> There is no more Free software for S/390 in RH and Suse

Rember that "free" in the context of OSS does not mean "free of charge."
Read the GPL.

--

Cheers
John.