Ken Hall wrote:

> Samba on SuSE 8.0 is 2.2.5, which is better than 2.2.0a, but 2.2.8 builds
and runs very nicely.

But if you build vanilla 2.2.8, you lose the many patches that SuSE has
applied to 2.2.5.  I noticed a file named something like printing.diff had
over 9000 lines of changes. I didn't do elaborate testing, but I tried the
*up*loading piece of print drivers described in the SHARE Samba/print pitch
(see http://linuxvm.org/present/SHARE100/s9325mma.pdf). For me, it worked
with the SLES-8 RPM, but not Samba-2.2.7 (I haven't tried Samba 2.2.8).
SuSE has patched their Samba-2.2.5 rpm (samba-2.2.5-71.s390.rpm), which I
believe has the patch to the recent security exposure (it should, it was a
SuSE developer who found it). I believe you would get that RPM if you have
support from SuSE (can anyone confirm?).

> We're supposedly going to be making my hand-built RPM's available soon

For Samba, are any of the SuSE patches retrofitted?  I know this can be
tricky work as the package owners may or may not have picked up the changes
from the distributors, and other code paths diverge.

          -Mike MacIsaac,  IBM   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061