> forgive me if I keep hammering on this topic, but i'm still
> not able to get this to work.  I'm trying to get Linux guests
> to respond to the CP SIGNAL SHUTDOWN command.
>
> Using
> SuSE SLES7 (2.4.7 kernel.  This was downloaded from SuSE's
> site as k-timer-2.4.7-20030221, dated Feb 21 2003.  Should
> have all the latest stuff, no?)
> z/VM 4.3.0

I had SLES7 (7.2) with kernel version 2.4.17.  It did not have the required
support.  Neale's quiesce patch will add the required support to your 2.4.7
kernel source.  It will require you to patch the kernel source and rebuild
it.  I don't know if the patch was created against vanilla 2.4.7 kernel
sources or SuSE kernel sources, so you may have a bit of fun getting it to
apply.  (Hollar if you need help or would like me to patch and compile for
ya.)

SLES8 does have the support built in since it was put into the kernel tree
somewhere between 2.4.17 and 2.4.19 (which SLES8 includes).

So, you'd probably want to wait until you receive SLE8 as that will be the
easiest.

Leland