On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:33:25AM -0500, Tom Duerbusch wrote:

> My impression is that gpg is basically the same as pgp with the
> exception that gpg is fully in the public domain.

GnuPG is not in the public domain, it is copyrighted by the Free Software
Foundation and licensed under the GPL.

> Great intent...
>
> But, just how compatable are they?  I haven't found any statement in
> this area.

Where did you look?  Question 1.2 in the GnuPG FAQ says:

1.2) Is GnuPG compatible with PGP?

    In general, yes. GnuPG and newer PGP releases should be implementing
    the OpenPGP standard. But there are some interoperability problems.
    See question 5.1 for details.

--
 - mdz