From: John Summerfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 5:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unsupportable FUD

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Fargusson.Alan wrote:

> One would go after the distributions of course, which SCO has threatened to do.
>
> I hope that SCO and IBM do go to trial, and that IBM wins.  We need to establish
> that the GPL is a valid license, and that Open Source is a valid development method.

I don't believe this dispute has anything to do with GPL. SCO alleges
that IBM (and others) misapproprated SCO's IP and (in some sense) placed
it in the public domain.

Even if IBM wins, and no matter how resoundingly, there will remain
questions about the legaility of using OSS, and about guarantees that
OSS authors simply cannot give.

I think the best outcome would be for someone (like IBM) to buy SCO out
at some point, and to reassure _everyone_ that their use of Linux etc is
fine.

The worst outcome would be for someone with a big pocket to acquire SCO
and then start persuing everyone with money or a profile. Can anyone
think of someone who might do that?

--

Cheers
John.