On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, John Summerfield wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Rod Furey wrote:
>
> > A more interesting question is: what do the User Mode Linux patches
> > do?
>
> Run real, unmodified* Linux programs in a virtual computer. UML uses
> standard user-space API to access virtual devices and memory.

Exactly, but I suspect that Rod was actually asking what UML does about
the kernel timer... ;-)

Folks often "write-off" the timer patch as pertaining only to z/VM, but
when we look at it there are other applications (as Johns and Rod have
raised).  ISTR Alan C. mentioned the UML aspect way back when this list
was first discussing whether the patch might get integrated into the
kernel.

Unfortunately, the timer patch doesn't scratch a large enough itch for the
community at-large.  As more shops use virtualisation -- not just on z/VM
-- in consolidation exercises, we might see that change.

Cheers,
Vic