> Has anyone running Linux under VM attempted to compare or evaluate the
> differences between the Velocity Software's ESALPS and IBM's VMRTM/VMPRF?

RTM and PRF are going away, replaced by the Performance Toolkit (aka
FCON/ESA).

> What were your conclusions as far as function and value?

ESALPS has far more features (in general, it's probably the most
comprehensive VM-hosted monitor and performance tool), but like most
powerful tools, the learning curve to master it is fairly steep.
Fortunately, Barton is usually available to help you through that part.

FCON is probably easier to learn and use (and I find the interface a little
more intuitive), but it doesn't do quite as much.

Performance Toolkit is probably cheaper, but it's like any tool -- you get
what you pay for.

-- db