> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cmp/20030619/tc_cmp/10700411
>
> Enderle has impressed me (slightly) over the years as being not the least
> clueful of analysts (he says, perhaps damning with faint praise).
>
> While I don't agree with his conclusion (or my email address would be
> different!), a lot of what he says bears consideration.

His main thrust in that article is not against Linux (which he admits is a solid and
competent
product) but against the "religious" attitude of one specific individual - his
opponent in the
failed debate - and what he perceives the Linux community in general to be.

This is always going to be the case.  Linux is a public effort with no entry exam -
the fringe
crowd who inhabited comp.os.os2.advocacy and its analogues are going to be around for
ever,
they're going to be here, and their noise will be significant.  There are many others
involved - with their heads down at desks, or working for organisations (most serious
corporate suppliers) who simply don't pemit their people to make noises in public.  We
shouldn't let the presence of the former group fool us into thinking that the latter
group
doesn't exist.

Never forget (or even underestimate) the quiet people.

As an aside - I was working late one evening back in the mid-1970s at the Bank of
England. One
guy was called home by a phone call.  When he came back, he told us a story.  His wife
was a
nurse(?) and was also working - so they had a teenager from the neighbourhood
babysitting.  A
burglar broke into the house and went into the room where the babysitter was watching
television with a labrador at her feet.  To quote him: "The damn labrador made so much
racket
that the burglar didn't hear the Rottweiler behind him."

The police arrived to find the Rottweiler standing over the burglar, growing every
time he
took a breath.  They said: "OK - send for the owner and make a couple of cups of tea."
 The
dog stayed where it was until called off.

Moral of the story - ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth - look underneath for
the true
movement.  Sometimes we get obsessed by the fact that Linux is "free" and forget that
it's
also multi-platform, etc.

--
  Phil Payne