John McKown wrote:

>What would you like, specifically?

I am trying to understand how to handle the large
distribution sizes with the small buckets I am given
to use. My users, being devlopers, can and will use
everything they can find on the distribution. Yet I
have to manage large DASD subsystems where subchannel
I/O needs to be optimized to get the best performance
overall and large volumes w/o PAV's are a bottleneck
on shark (or RVA for that matter).

>1) Create a 3390-9 or -27 for the /usr partition. The
>problems are (a)
>possible I/O queueing to the physical device, (b) not
>have a
>correspondingly
>sized volume for D.R. purposes.

The D.R. is a good point - the D.R. site would have to
have the same exact hardware (-9 or -27 volumes) which
would certainly limit D.R. to shark.

Mark's point is much the same - recovery using LVM or
RAID can be a problem. I think John Summerfield also
mentioned this in a different thread.

Option 2 (/usr subdirectories on different volumes) is
operationally probably the best.  You're not bound by
a particular physical DASD subsystem and you have
direct access to the volume for fsck and other repair
actions.

But, unfortunately, it seems you have to use RAID or
LVM during your initial install to find out how big
the subdirectories really are.

=====
Jim Sibley
Implementor of Linux on zSeries in the beautiful Silicon Valley

"Computer are useless.They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso