IFF what you need is a Unix desktop,  then Linux is ready.

When I started with BMC in late Spring of 1995,
the resources available to me were a bit limitted:
I had a 31xx series (IBM, coax) terminal.   But while that was fine
for my VM tasks,  it didn't facilitate my Unix responsibilities.
Next I got an HP X terminal.   This was ... usable.   I wanted a Sun.
Never got one.   For the Unix desktop,  Sun was king at that time,
with AIX and HP fighting it out for second place.

Eventually,  I got a shiney new HP Vectra (PC),  which came with
Windows installed,  if I recall.   Having used Linux for some time
in previous work,  I straight away installed it in a dual-boot config,
but wound up using it more than Windows.   Linux was faster and more
stable than Windows.   [preaching to the choir,  I know]   But I was,
and still am,  in the most techno part of the company.

Since that time,  Linux has served as my Unix desktop host system,
though I try to maintain an agnostic stance.   For many things,
it really doesn't matter whether the host is Linux, AIX, Solaris,
IRIX, or HP-UX.   My preferred WM would be FVWM just out of principle,
and it is available,  but I wind up on KDE as a matter of practicality.
VNC adds disconn/reconn flexibility.   (Try THAT with Windows.)
I have a clean, robust, and well featured Windows 2000 image
available via multi-boot.   I rarely use it.

This is not perfect.   (Linux is not ready?)   I am looking for a
better e-mail program.   I *like* MS Outlook.   Would be using Outlook
if I could get the native Win/2K partition (SCSI) attached to a VMware
guest.   (SCSI issues with physical partitions and VMware.  Long story.)
For MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint,  the functionality of
OpenOffice is sufficient.   Acrobat is Acrobat:  Works well on Linux
(on any Unix?) though is less pretty around the edges.

The real-time interoperability of applications is the killer.
(Linux is not ready?)   Expecting certain drag-n-drop operations
has led to new infrastructure (dcopserver, klauncher, and others).
These are the instability point for the Linux desktop,  along with Java.
We are losing some of the mix-n-match aspect of X windows.
Personally,  I would rather lose the drag-n-drop.
ALL of the traditional X apps work NOW.   Linux is ready.

IFF what you need is a Unix desktop,
then Linux HAS BEEN ready for quite some time.
Just one more testimonial,  for what it's worth.

-- R;