From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Cameron, Thomas
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 10:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [LINUX-390] Shared DASD for guests?

Hi all -

Let me begin by saying I am still very new to z/VM.  I am a Linux guy, not a
mainframe fellow, so bear with me if I ask silly questions.

We are considering using one chunk of DASD space to install RHEL 3 and then
having multiple guests access /usr, /bin, /sbin and so on read-only.  That
way we apply updated RPMs to the "master" all the read-only guests will be
updated as well.  The sticking point is that it seems that the read-only
guests have to re-access the DASD before they see the updates that have been
applied.

Am I understanding this correctly?  To me this sounds very problematical.
In Linux/Intel, when a new RPM is installed, in most cases it simply
involves restarting the updated service for the new software to be used.  In
z/Linux it seems that a simple update of code will require each guest to
re-IPL in order to access the read-only DASD of the "master" image.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks!
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT
Assistant Vice President

The opinions expressed in this message are mine alone and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of my employer, Bank of America.