Mike,

What Linux distribution are you running?  What is the output of "uname -a"
and "rpm -qa | grep cups"?

If you are still stuck after Daniel's suggestion, try the following simple
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf and let us know what happens:
DocumentRoot /usr/share/cups/doc/
LogLevel info
Port 631
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 127.0.0.2
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Order Deny,Allow
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

I'm working on a redpaper, with Roy Costa of the ITSO, based on my Print
Serving SHARE presentation.  It's about 90% ready. We try to document both
SLES-8 and RHEL-3. Mike, I took the liberty to send you one.

If anyone else would like to review this paper (828KB), send me an e-mail
off-line and I'll send you a PDF.  I would appreciate some feedback.
Thanks.

-Mike MacIsaac, IBM  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061

Mike Lovins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
03/08/2004 05:22 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc

Subject
[LINUX-390] Error Start CUP service

   I am attempting to define a printer to my system but when I start to
define the printer I get an error telling me that the CUP service is not
started. When I try to start the service I get the error -/ect/init.d/cups
start returned 7 (Program not running.)
Starting cupsdcupsd: Child exited on signal 11! ... failed.

   Can someone tell me what is going on and what I need to

  Mike Lovins
  City of Tulsa, Oklahoma