From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Rich Smrcina
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 6:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TAPE IPL failed in LINUX installation.

Is the CHPID available in the Linux partition.  It will need to be
varied off to the OS/390 LPAR and varied on to the Linux LPAR.

Also, the sequence of the files on the tape should be tapeipl.ikr,
parmfile, initrd.

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 04:00, DAYANIDHI Arunagiri wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In our shop I started installing SuSe LINUX in our MULTIPRISE 3000 S390 server, as a
> first step I downloaded SuSe linux and related document from internet. We have done
> the following activities one by one and failed during tape IPL:
>
> 1) Created seperate LINUX IMAGE is support element.
> 2) Other IMAGE has V2R6 os390.
> 3) TAPE DRIVE 580 & 581 are already configured to S390.
> 4) Configure ethernet device to LINUX partition by defining it in MPTS configuration
> and assigned a CU Address for that device.
> 5) Copied three files Tapeipl.ikr, Initrd, Parmfile from CD --> to DASD (os390) -->
> to unlabled tape(in BLP format)
> 6) Once we are ready with IPLable tape we started IPLing the tape using 581 the
> tapedrive address in support element and IPLed the LINUX IMAGE, but it failed with
> error message "THE LOAD ADDRESS IS NOT CONFIGURED IN THE PARTITION".
>
> My question is whether I have to do any other configuration changes in support
> element to do TAPE IPL and also I am not sure whether the tape drives should be in
> OFFLOAD mode in os390 partition. I tried either way it didn't worked.
>
> Is any faced similar problem? I am held up in the initial installation step itself,
> please help me.
>
> Best Regards
> Dayanidhi A
> Ext: 6220

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
Rich Smrcina
Sr. Systems Engineer
DSG eServer & Linux Solutions
Milwaukee, WI
rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
rsmrcina at dsgroup.com

Catch the WAVV! Stay for requirements and the free-for-all.
Update your zSeries skills in 4 days for a very reasonable price.
WAVV 2004 in Chattanooga, TN
April 30-May 4, 2004
For details see http://www.wavv.org