On Tuesday, 03/23/2004 at 10:31 CST, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My question is why is z/VM NJE needed on an IFL? I don't think that z/VM
on
> an IFL is meant to be used by CMS users for any kind of development. And
> even if it were, I personally would use ftp to send jobs to remote
sites,
> not NJE.
>
> What am I missing? Remote printing? Use "lpd" on the remote end. Or is
this
> for VSE support of some kind? I know nothing of VSE (z/VM, z/Linux, and
z/OS
> only at present).

The only reasonable use I've seen for NJE on IFL is when it is part of a
pre-existing systems management infrastructure that you were/are using for
z/VM on standard engines.  As an NJE hub or gateway?  No.  As an NJE print
server?  No.

But, of course, every situation is unique and has to be judged on its own
merits, not against some arbitrary standard.  That's why we do special
bids.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development