> 2.) a minimum selection of
> software packages with SLES8 ( for e.g. a web- or FTP server?)

A quick perusal of the SUSE website shows that
you seem to have a choice of Apache, Apache or Apache
in SLES8. Or anything that you decide to try and build and
install yourself which SUSE chose not to.

FTP servers: there seems to be pure-ftpd and vsftpd. pure-ftp
is pretty easy to set up in principle, i.e. it was for me. Dunno
about vsftpd, not used it.

As always, you should consider security when making a choice.
Read the docs and see what they offer.

It struck me that what I do when installing SUSE on the x86 boxes is use YaST to remove those things that I don't want (e.g. infra-red, ISDN etc.) As always, it depends(1) on what you think you need. I tend to get the base install done and then use YaST to remove those extras afterwards. Doesn't take too long to remove the obvious things. Any pre-reqs will be flagged.

Rod

(1) I really wish I'd trademarked this before Bitner did (along
with this internet superhighway stuff that I was proposing in the
late 70s). I'd be the one with lots of money now instead of him!