On Friday, 07/30/2004 at 11:00 EST, Adam Thornton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 10:30, Peter Rothman wrote:
> > Are there a SSH product available that will run on z/VM?
>
> Kinda-sorta.  We did a proxy server last year that uses a Linux guest
> and allows you to create a tunneled SSH connection to your z/VM telnet
> port.  Basically, you run ssh in tunnel mode locally to establish a
> connection to the Linux guest, which then does an unecrypted connection
> to the VM service.  Then you connect your client to your local port, and
> all external communication is protected by the SSH tunnel.
>
> If you meant, "is there a native CMS SSH implementation," not that I'm
> aware of.  I think Neale did an implementation several years ago under
> OE, but it's really ancient by now.

And I think you must separate console access via SSH from the
often-expected services like scp.  The whole concept of VM virtual
machines are alien to the pipe-like semantics of traditional ssh-based
services.  A virtual machine doesn't have access to the encrypted ssh
tunnel itself, and so cannot use it to send data, nor does it have access
to the identity of the remote end.

Even the console traffic itself is problematic.  "Should it be linemode or
fullsreen?  How to choose?"

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development