Rich Smrcina wrote:

I get the desired effect and the nice message without the vmpoff as
well.

Right. See http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg20673.html
The vmpoff only applies when you issue 'shutdown -h' yourself.
Contrasting the recommendation from Malcolm, I do *not* use vmpoff= so
that it will not logoff under my fingers when I need to shutdown and
tamper with it. When I really want it to go away I use 'signal
shutdown'  against it.

Rob

PS If you have a lot of virtual machines it may be wise to issue FORCE
against them in small groups before you issue the shutdown command. That
avoids thrashing the system with all penguins running for the exit at
the same time.