On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:00:42 -0500, Derric Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyone here have any problems with the fact that multiple guests sitting
> on the same LPAR running through VM and using the same adapter all share
> (to the outside world) the same MAC address?
>
> Seems like this potentially can cause a lot of problems.

In practice the OSA does a nice job in offloading that work from the guests.

> Certainly for things like reverse look up etc...

What applications would be doing reverse lookup of MAC address?  One
thing I can imagine is when you run the DHCP server on the LAN and
want the guests to use that. This will not work with z/VM 4.4 and you
need to run the DHCP server in the box on the Guest LAN or VSWITCH to
serve the Linux guests. But that's not really a problem because
running DHCP on behalf of servers is a bit different than running it
on the LAN for your workstations.

But things are changing in this area.

--
Rob van der Heij                  rvdheij @ gmail.com