> AFAIK, there's no way to turn caching completely off in Linux.

It is my understanding that any file that is opened with the O_DIRECT
option bypasses the Linux cache.  I believe that this support was added in
SP2 to SLES8.

I know that Oracle 10g will open its files with this option if the init.ora
has the parameter filesystemio_options=directIO.  From the tests I have
done, this support works.  I do not know what other applications implement
the O_DIRECT option on FOPEN, but it seems to me that bypassing the Linux
cache is up to the application.

Tom Russell

"Stay calm.  Be brave.  Wait for the signs." -- Jasper Friendly Bear