James Melin said:
> I would like to see that list also.

No problem.
Here is the list of packages that I outlined for Mike.
The following suite runs and is "self hosting" in that you can
use it to re-build itself without outside help.   (Which is a bit
more than some folks need for a "minimal base".)

I found that to build a Linux capable of rebuilding itself,
you need roughly 30 packages.   To make it usable,  you need about 50,
and to cover varying hardware and include one or two production apps
(eg: SAMBA or Apache)  you're looking at 80.   This is still
a lot less than what some people might call "minimal".

There are 4 shells,  4 scripting languages,  and 4 FOUR editors,
so there is room for trimming.   Secure Shell is included and is
for me a necessity.   Apache and SAMBA are also included.
(Please excuse the release numbers.  This list is old.)

Otherwise,  this is quite minimal:

        # shells
        bash-2.05b
        pdksh-5.2.14