You don't have to.
First create new physical volumes:

pvcreate  /dev/dasdx1 /dev/dasdy1

Add new volumes to your volume group:

vgextend /dev/vgroup /dev/dasdx1 /dev/dasdy1

At this time you may see the new volumes added using "vgdisplay /dev/vgroup"

Unmount your file system:

umount /uxxx

Extend your logical volume:

 lvextend -L+1G /dev/vgroupx/volx         (if you want to extend 1 giga).

Mount your file system:

mount  /dev/vgroup/volx  /uxx

I hope this can help you.

Hugo Rivera
SSA II
County of Contra Costa
Department of Information Technology

                      José Raúl Barón
                      Rodríguez                To:       LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:
                      a.es>                    Subject:  LVM Question
                      Sent by: Linux on
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      03/17/2005 12:29
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      jbaron

I have currently a database in a filesystem located in a DASD. I would
like to add 2 more DASD to this filesystem using LVM.

Do I have to erase previously all the data in my first DASD ? or does
this disk enhancement respect the previously existing data ?

Saludos,

José Raúl Barón
Dpto. Sistemas
CALCULO S.A.