From: David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Restrict user to only one active login
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:27:40 -0400

> There is a multi step build/backup procedure that only one
> person should be
> running at a time.  The idea was to restrict the build
> scripts to only one
> user.  Then allow the build UID only one login at a time.

Couple of ideas:

1) Use NQS (Networked Queue System) to do the builds. Think of it as a
simple batch manager.

2) Use the GRAM component of Globus to do the builds. Same sort of
thing, but would allow later distribution of the build workload
dynamically.

3) Recursive makefiles, eg top level makefile calls individual steps and
checks return code; if rc <> 0 then do automatic "make clean" in that
directory, cd ..;make clean to reset all the locks and get rid of any
debris from the failed make.

> Maybe a real make file is needed, but it would be complicated.

You're gonna need to do this eventually. Probably a good idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390