Tim,

> it's the next step (where you choose local CD-ROM, HMC
> CD-ROM, or FTP server) that has issues.

I believe it is looking for the suse.ins file which is in the root
directory of CD1.  If you're pointing to an install tree via FTP, it might
be here:
# cat /nfs/sles9x/sles9xsp3root/sles9/CD1/suse.ins
* SuSE Linux for zSeries Installation/Rescue System
boot/vmrdr.ikr 0x00000000
boot/initrd.siz 0x00010414
boot/initrd 0x00800000
boot/parmfile 0x00010480

Hope this helps.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061