Hello list,

Has anyone used heartbeat across LPARs to set up an HA solution? We are
close but it's not quite working.

We set up two ITDS6 LDAPs that are peer to peer master servers so their
databases stay in sync. We set up heartbeat to give the two servers a
single Virtual IP Address (VIPA). Everything works fine with the initial
configuration.

To simulate a disaster, we simply shutdown the active heartbeat server
(#CP LOG gives the same results). The standby server detects the failure
and heartbeat takes over. Linux thinks everything is fine. However, when
the standby server sets up the alias IP address, we see the following
error on the console:

  HCPIPN2833E Error 'E00A'X adding IP address 129.40.49.59 for VSWITCH
SYSTEM VSW1
  HCPIPN2833E IP address is already in use on the LAN.

At this point the VIPA cannot be pinged. If we query the VSWITCH we see
(.7 is alternate's IP@ and .59 is the VIPA):
  ==> CP Q VSWITCH DET
  00:         Unicast IP Addresses:
  00:           129.40.49.7          MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-04
  00:           129.40.49.59         MAC: 02-00-00-00-00-04 Local
The "Local" suffix on the VIPA seems to confirm the problem.

I guess what is needed is to somehow flush the ARP tables before the
failover. To complicate matters, the two servers are running in two
different LPARs. Has anyone solved this problem, or have ideas?  Thanks.

"Mike MacIsaac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   (845) 433-7061