From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Yu
Safin
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 14:25
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [LINUX-390] dasd over run messages

We are running zVM 5.2, SLES 9, Oracle 10.2 G and EMC/Symmetric.

Our SLES reported the following errors.  The two DASD volumes are
DEDICATED, we use LVM without striping on ext3 mounted points used by
Oracle.

Jul 24 21:50:13 lnoaesd kernel: dasd_erp(3990):  0.0.2537: Overrun -
service overrun or overrun error requested by channel
Jul 24 21:50:13 lnoaesd kernel: dasd_erp(3990):  0.0.2532: Overrun -
service overrun or overrun error requested by channel
Jul 24 21:50:13 lnoaesd kernel: klogd 1.4.1, ---------- state change
----------
Jul 24 21:59:01 lnoaesd /USR/SBIN/CRON[16103]: (root) CMD ( rm -f
/var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly)
Jul 24 22:24:04 lnoaesd -- MARK --
Jul 24 22:44:08 lnoaesd -- MARK --

After those messages, the system went to 100% CPU and stayed there.
No more hourly cron jobs ran again and no one could log on so we had
to reboot after 12 hours of no activity (we did not notice that it was
not working, it is a test system).

Last night (Jul 26), the system went to 100% CPU again but no dasd_erp
messages were reported and cron jobs stopped running.  We had to
reboot again.

Has anybody had any incidents with this type of configuration.
I could not find messages on the EMC console.