The only question that comes to my mind is whether you told the
installed to do a "dasdfmt" of the volume in question?  The Hercules
"dasdinit" is not sufficient (even though required) because it does not
format the tracks into 4K records that z/Linux requires. Why "msdos"
indeed? What filesystem type did you choose? I used ext3, not ResierFS.
SUSE seems to be enamored of ResierFS for some reason. But I remember
seeing messages here about it not being the best idea on the s390
version of z/Linux.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.