From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
James Melin
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:15 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [LINUX-390] WebSphere, SLES 9 64 bit and Above/below the bar
strangeness

Greetings. This may be 'working as designed' but I'm not sure....

If anyone has seen this please feel free to enlighten.

We have a WebSphere cluster, with WebSphere in Network Deployment
configuration. This means that the primary node has a configuration
slightly different than the secondary node in that the primary has a
deployment manager task. That in and of itself causes a nearly 600 meg
difference in memory footprint.

WebSphere on Linux for z/Series is a 31 bit task, running in a 64 bit
operating system. I've verified that both machines are at the same
maintenance level, and both are indeed 64 bit SLES.  So the conundrum
here is why would the node with the deployment manager consistently have
almost twice as many resident pages above the bar as the node without
the Deployment manager? Is there some function of the Deployment manager
that would request memory above the bar to a much greater extent than
the node agent or the app server tasks?

Just curious as we'd like to explain the behavior difference.

-J