From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 6:24 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] VSwitch and IPv6

On Friday, 09/07/2007 at 01:40 EDT, Marcy Cortes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is all confusing to me - this layer 2/3 stuff.  It was said to be
not
> allowed on the same card.   Then not on the same port?  Now OK on the
same
> port (given I have the latest and greatest z9 stuff, that's easy -
someone
> else gets to do that)?

In the vernacular, "card" means "port".  "Feature" means "card".  Oh,
wait.  A single feature has two daughter cards in it.  waaaaahhhhh!!!!
It is time to standardize our terminology, everyone.  Architecturally:

- Feature: The thing that you order and plug into the I/O cage.  It has
one or more chpids, each with one or ports.
- Chpid: The channel that gives host access to one or more ports.
- Port: The thing you plug the cable into.  They are numbered, within
each chpid, from 0 to n.  For all of the OSAs, you have been using Port
0.
Exceedingly convenient since all of the host interface definitions
default to port 0.

[To keep you on your toes, the Token Ring feature exhibits two physical
connectors per port (DB-9 and RJ-45), but only one can be used.  But
that's TR.  Who cares?  All of the Ethernet features exhibit one
physical connector per port.]

See Appendix A of your OSA-Express Customer's Guide and Reference.

> Scenario - I have 2 OSA cards.  2 ports on each (duh).  One port on
> each going to a diff switch.

There's no "duh".  Not all OSA features have two ports.  The 10 GbE
feature has a single chpid with a single port.  :-)

> OSA1
>       port A ----> switch a
>       port B ----> switch b
> OSA2
>       port A ----> switch a
>       port B ----> switch b
>
> VM TCPIP stack has OSA1 portA and OSA2 portB - layer 3 (and some guest
LAN,
> but that doesn't matter).
> VSWITCH Layer 3 has OSA1 portB and OSA2 portA
>
> Can I add a Layer 2 vswitch here without disturbing what's there?
> That is, define 1 more vswitch using addresses on OSA1 portB and OSA2
port
> A?

Yes.

> Existing VSWITCH Layer 3 def looks like:
> Define VSWITCH td6vsw1 rdev f400 f600 vlan 797 porttype trunk
>
> Can I just add the layer 2 one with something like:
> Define vswitch td6vsw2 rdev f410 f610 ETHERNET vlan 797 porttype trunk

> And then update Linux with *for SLES: QETH_LAYER2_SUPPORT=1 in
> /etc/sysconfig/hardware/hwcfg-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.XXXX
> And that'll work??

Yes.  The only issue with L2/L3 on the same port is that, up to now,
hosts using L2 could not talk to hosts using L3 on the same OSA port.
That is, you couldn't have them on the same subnet and expect them to
talk to each other.  If the servers don't talk to each other....

> Or must I come up with some more ports.

Only if you
- want to use Link Aggregation
- have network security issues to deal with

And, of course, you can't (technically can, but really really shouldn't)
mix VLAN-tagged traffic and non-VLAN-tagged traffic on the same OSA
port.

> Bonus points for explaining how I can get link aggregation involved :)

Use SET PORT GROUP to create a named list of OSA RDEVs.  Use the GROUP
name instead of RDEVs on DEFINE VSWITCH.  Create a similar group on the
physical switch.  (Both ends of the cable have to be configured to
operate
in a link agg. group.)   Et voila.  z/VM 5.3 only.

Because the link aggregation protocol requires [v]switch-switch control
flows, not just data, you must dedicate the entire OSA port to the
VSWITCH.  No sharing.  At some point the OSAs will be updated to detect
this and will not allow active sharing of an OSA port that is using link
aggregation.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390