Mark wrote:
"Which ever way you go, you'll need to rummage through your system
afterwards, and make sure things are still configured the way you want them.
I've seen cases where "stuff" got changed, and I had to re-do them.  Also,
look for "*.rmpnew" files.  Those will be new versions of configuration
files that didn't get moved into place because you updated the ones on the
running system.  Also look for "*.rpmsave" files.  I'm not sure what
criteria gets used to create those, but they're copies of configuration
files that were replaced, but saved."

There's a nice utility provided by SuSE which lists them out for you.  Use
"chkconfig rpmconfigcheck on".  Then it will post a list of these files for
you (on the console) to investigate when the server boots (or go review it
in  /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck later).

You should do this whenever you apply any updates at all.  You'll have not
fun issues if say you've got pam customization and it shoves it off to
.rpmsave and puts its stuff there instead :(.

Marcy Cortes
Team Lead, Enterprise Virtualization - z/VM and z/Linux
Enterprise Hosting Services
w. (415) 243-6343
c. (415) 517-0895
"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you
must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or
any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please
advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank
you for your cooperation."

Which ever way you go, you'll need to rummage through your system
afterwards, and make sure things are still configured the way you want them.
I've seen cases where "stuff" got changed, and I had to re-do them.  Also,
look for "*.rmpnew" files.  Those will be new versions of configuration
files that didn't get moved into place because you updated the ones on the
running system.  Also look for "*.rpmsave" files.  I'm not sure what
criteria gets used to create those, but they're copies of configuration
files that were replaced, but saved.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit