From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
John Summerfield
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 4:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Linux not recognizing file systems

Joell Chockley wrote:
> I've got a strange problem with a Linux guest.  The only indicator
> we've come up with so far is that /dev/null had it's file permissions
> changed on Friday afternoon to -rw-r--r--  1 root root 81 2008-01-11
> 15:03 /dev/null (we don't know how this was changed).  One of our
> admins changed it back to

This is what I would expect to see if someone deleted /dev/null and then
root did something like echo >/dev/null as you would expect root to do
sometimes - just look at /etc/init.d/* grep /dev/null /etc/init.d/*

_I_ would like to know who|what deleted /dev/null and what else was
done, it sounds to me like a breakdown in procedures, or some malware
was installed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390