Everything you listed looks fine to me. In my experience, extending
logical volumes usually goes well (regardless of distro). I have only
seen things go wrong from folks attempting to shrink their file systems.

~Justin

Ayer, Paul W wrote:
Ok so this time I documented ever step I took to test this out.
So I could be pointed to where I was going wrong ....

PLEASE READ the BOLD stuff at the end here first ...

dasdfmt -b 4096 -d cdl -f /dev/dasdt  -l LXt -p -y

fdasd -a /dev/dasdt

pvcreate /dev/dasdt1

pvscan =  PV /dev/dasdt1                   lvm2 [6.88 GB]

vgcreate vgtest /dev/dasdt1

vgscan =  Found volume group "vgtest" using metadata type lvm2

pvscan =  PV /dev/dasdt1   VG vgtest       lvm2 [6.88 GB / 6.88 GB free]

lvcreate --name lvtest --size 1G vgtest

lvscan =  ACTIVE            '/dev/vgtest/lvtest' [1.00 GB] inherit

pvscan =  PV /dev/dasdt1   VG vgtest       lvm2 [6.88 GB / 5.88 GB free]

mke2fs -j /dev/vgtest/lvtest

mkdir /usr/lvtest

added to /etc/fstab = /dev/vgtest/lvtest /usr/lvtest ext3 defaults 1 2

mount -a

df -h

Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/mapper/vgtest-lvtest  1008M   34M  924M   4% /usr/lvtest

touch /usr/lvtest/a

works fine

lvextend --size +1G /dev/vgtest/lvtest

  Extending logical volume lvtest to 2.00 GB
  Logical volume lvtest successfully resized

pvscan = PV /dev/dasdt1   VG vgtest       lvm2 [6.88 GB / 4.88 GB free]

no changes from df -h

ext2online /usr/lvtest

ext2online v1.1.18 - 2001/03/18 for EXT2FS 0.5b

df -h

Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgtest-lvtest   2.0G   34M  1.9G   2% /usr/lvtest

touch /usr/lvtest/b

works fine ...

==

enter reboot

(just before I hit enter I realized that I had just added the disk for
this test and did not update the initrd & zipl  ...

Durrrr ... I know better than that but  did it three times the last time
I was testing this a few weeks ago    .... )

so it does work fine .... lvextend + ext2online can grow a file system
while mounted .... even after a boot works fine  ...

:) so sorry .. all ...