>From /etc/sysconfig/yup

# There are two options, to get the ID:
#
# 1. use the Machine ID: this value is in
#        /etc/zmd/deviceid
#    on the machine you registered with.
#
# 2. go to the Novell Customer Center and request
#    "mirror credentials" to get updates to all your
#    systems with one yup run
#        http://www.novell.com/center/

The 1st way did not work for me either.  The second did.

That is, after I figured which proxy server would let me out of our env
- hopefully you too don't have a picky picky proxy server.

Marcy

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this