Mark Post wrote:
On 8/22/2008 at  1:29 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brad Hinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
Note: The %
is an escape character to '#cp vi vmsg' which sets input to lowercase.
Otherwise root= is sent as ROOT=, which Linux doesn't like very much.

Hmm.  Not on my SLES10 SP1 system.  Something in the interface lower-cases the
input for me.  I don't know if this is a mod we made to zipl (I doubt it), or
we're running a newer version of s390-tools than you.
s390-tools-1.6.0-1.20

Mark Post

Interesting..  I grabbed that from the device drivers reference (maybe
old link):

download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/linux390/docu/l390dd03.pdf
(p. 27, pdf p. 39)

It mentions:

"To resolve this problem, the hardware console uses an escape character
(%) under VM to distinguish between upper and lower case characters.
This behavior and the escape character (%) are adjustable at build-time
by editing the driver sources, or at run time by use of the ioctl
interface."

So maybe this default changes by z/VM level (?)  I ran my test on z/VM
5.2 (service level 0602).

-Brad

Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z