Mark Post wrote:
On 9/25/2008 at  8:46 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mary Elwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-snip-
I invoked YAST and I  performed a dasdfmt on disk /dev/dasdh and I created
a partition  /dev/dasdh1.  FDASD failed for unknown reason was return from
YAST.  I assumed it was because it was not an ECKD device.  For some reason
I think I don*t need to format FBA/SCSI..

Both the dasdfmt and fdasd are unnecessary on an FBA device.  When the device is
detected, the kernel automatically "creates" the single partition

Sometimes when I have problems with an FBA device (especially edev), and
I want to wipe it clean, I zero out the beginning of the LUN and fdisk
it, like so:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dasdh bs=1M count=1
# fdisk /dev/dasdh
(n for new partition, p for primary, w to save and quit)
# mkfs... /dev/dasdh1

--
Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z