in addition the the good info that Stewart Thomas wrote, I would add
that z/OS USS files can be tagged with a codepage.

You can see this using ls -lT, and modify using the chtag command.

We have USS filesystems mounted on zLinux (with "default" codepages in
the mount command as Stewart documented) from a z/OS Server and the
translation is automatic down to the individual file level.

So even though we specify in the mount that translation should be from
EBCDIC to ASCII I can also access files that are tagged as ASCII on the
z/OS USS side.

mark