Scott, there's an open source project called MVSDASD that provides a read only
Linux
device driver to flat files stored on MVS DASD; e.g., sequential z/OS datasets.
It even
has a page comparing it to NFS. It's web site is located here:
http://www.mvsdasd.org/

Good luck.

Scott Rohling wrote:
I know this topic has been done before - but you never know if something new
has come to pass...

The subject says it all --  We know NFS works -- but we're looking for
solutions outside of NFS.  A customer recently asked me about 'zFS'  (which
appears to come from an older reference at the IBM Haifa website)..

Outside of network mounts -- is anyone aware of something that allows either
z/OS to read Linux filesystems directly, or vice-a-versa?  (ECKD or FCP/SAN)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Scott Rohling

DJ

V/Soft
  z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
  consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com