On Friday, 09/26/2008 at 04:47 EDT, Kirk Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NFS is of course one option for sharing file systems, but its security
model
> and performance may not meet your requirements.
> MVSDASD has no security model - and doesn't even support the necessary
> serialization to be considered safe IMO.

I agree on both points, with one exception:  This is ok if you want to
keep Linux configuration data in a z/OS dataset.  You need to ensure that
only the volume containing the Linux-specific dataset is accessible by
Linux, and ensure that no other datasets are allocated on said volume.

But no way should Linux have direct disk access to any other operating
system's production data, including other Linuxen.  No security, no
auditability, no accountability.  (shudder)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott