I've finally, after some pain and frustration, have gotten our z990 and DS8300
communicating via the SAN.  I'm defining the devices on the z/VM 5.4 side
using edev.  So far, this has just been a test to figure out how to make it
work.  However, I'm planning on making use of this on a z9 for our production
Linux guests who need access to large data volumes (i.e. our Oracle servers,
etc.).

I know very little about the performance issues of edev vs. direct SCSI
connections, NPIV and all of that stuff.  I've read some of the presentations
and red books and, well, after some bouts of dizziness, I realize that I don't
get it.

So, can anyone who is doing this in "real life" like to share some pearls of
wisdom?  What are the practical limits to the number of edevs you should
create on a single FCP connection?  Are there limits to how big a LUN you
should have connected, or does it matter?

Martha