Comments in line.

John Summerfield wrote:
Michael Grundy wrote:
I've discovered this on RHEL5-clone on another platform.

Looking at a RHEL 5.3 system, I don't see a yum-auto update. There is
yum-updatesd, which can be controlled in the normal fashion:

# chkconfig --list yum-updatesd
yum-updatesd    0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

yum-autoupdate is in Fedora.
Please elaborate. I've found references to it in older Fedora releases
back when we had the old fedora-extras channel, but nothing in current
releases.

I don't know whether it can be removed, in
SL removing it also removes yum.

It seems the behaviour I see is specific to Scientific Linux 5. I'm
generating some heat there, I don't see any justification for it in any
likely environment for a RHEL clone. I for one don't want updates to any
of my systems on Red Hat's say-so, and that's exactly what has been
happening.

Red Hat has never shipped an Enterprise Linux release that automatically
applies updates for this very reason. It has always been our stance that
enterprise systems updating should be left to the discretion of system
administrators, and manual updates have excluded the kernel by default
for this same reason. I can only speak for RHL-9, and RHEL-2.1 -
RHEL-5.x. The yum-updatesd daemon is supposed to have options to install
or download updates only set in /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf, but these
have always been set to no by default.

A system like Microsoft's where one can opt-out would be fine. Opt-in
would be better for EL IMV.

--

Cheers
John