I agree with Florian's comments.  That's the point I was trying to
make when I first replied to Mark's response.  While I completely
agree with Mark's comments, I do not think that they are realistic in
every setting.

My problem is not Java 1.5 or 1.6 availability.  It is the limitation
of running various versions of SLES on zSeries processors.  I made the
same objection when SLES 11 was announced to run on z9 and above only.

As Florian says, no everyone out there has the ability to go out and
buy a new system z every few years.  Some of us smaller shops in
particular. So, for now, we are stuck with SLES 10.

Just my 2 cents.

Aria

Quoting Berry van Sleeuwen <berry.vansleeu...@xs4all.nl>:

I guess Florian wanted to reply to the list.

Regards, Berry.

Florian Bilek schreef:
Dear all,

Even I couldn't agree more with the statements about sticking to the
available software versions, this does not reflect reality. As
software is mostly developed outside of the organisations they want to
use it, nobody is taking care of certain maintenace levels. When it is
available, when it is fits to the requirements then the management
wants to have it. And when you as responsible for the zSeries tell
them, well we can not do it because we have SLES 10 and SLES 11
requires a new mainframe, I guess you can imagine what the reaction of
the management will be: Burry this bloddy thing an replace it
immediately by more modern hardware.

In my opinon the zSeries has to be as flexible as possible in order to
have a chance to survive against the other platforms. It is not that
you simply buy a new zSeries every year.

So I think there is a real need to support JAVA 1.6 also on SLES 10
and I really don't see why this should not be possible.

Best regards,
Florian

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Berry van Sleeuwen