On 11/27/2009 10:54 AM, Mike Myers wrote:
Hi all:

I have recently gotten RedHat's zLinux installed and running under
Hercules, and a trying to gain some experience with it prior to
attempting to install it in an LPAR on a client's system.

I'm looking for some information on how to get started. All I have found
so far is the ability to login using SSH. I have created a couple of
users and was hoping that i could make use of a graphic environment, but
haven't been able to get much more than a rudimentary terminal
environment. How would I go about accessing zLinuz from a windowed
environment and where would I find documentation?

Mike Myers

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390
or visit
If your goal is to have remote access to an entire desktop environment,
then the following articles is very helpful and still applicable to RHEL-5.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/006apr05/features/vnc/

Be sure to open the necessary ports in your firewall (if iptables is
running) that Mauro pointed out. For your Windows clients, you will need
a vnc client (a google search for "windows vnc client" turns up quite a
few).

If an entire desktop environment is not your goal, then go with Jay
Brenneman's suggestions.

-Justin