I have a strange question from customer. They claim, their C/C++
application performs purely when running as non-root. Under root it
performs well. I have no other info ! Not even what exactly is the nature
of application, I know they use threads there and message queuing (not MQ,
but built-in). They have z10 BC, two IFLs, no z/.VM, it is just one LPAR
PoC project. RHEL 5.
And this is the exact copy/paste of their question.
<quote>
What environment variables or other system setting we should set in
order to run as fast as when it is started by root?

What are limits when setting thread priority (lowest = -10, highest =
10 or)?
</quote>

If the application is attempting to nice() itself, only root can request a
negative (higher priority) nice value. IIRC values are (-20) to 19, highest
to lowest priority respectively.
Paul